Monday, August 27, 2007

Post One: A Definition

I suppose I should begin this blog with a definition--I find that people aren't always familiar with the definition of "apologetics," and I don't want to misrepresent myself.

An apologist, according to the dictionary, is "one who speaks or writes in defense of something." It has nothing to do with apologizing in the colloquial sense: think Plato's "The Apology." Apologetics are usually associated with (unsuccessful) attempts to defend religion (generally Christianity) against objections; an essay explaining why the problem of evil isn't really a problem would, for instance, be a work of apologetics.

So why is this blog called "reality apologetics?" Put simply, I think reality is placed under attack rather consistently in every day life--I'd like to write in reality's defense. Let the games begin.

No comments: